We have fried rice all the time and this is not really anything unusual. I made it as per the recipe except I didn’t let the rice cool, didn’t use the egg and I used carrots and broccoli and green beans for the vegies. I did notice that I could taste the butter in it …
Benihana Japanese Fried Rice
1 cup uncooked long grain converted or parboiled rice (not instant or quick white rice)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
1/2 cup diced onion (1/2 small onion)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1. Cook the rice following instructions on the package. This should take about 20 minutes. Pour the rice into a large bowl to let it cool.
2. Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Chop scrambled chunks of egg into small pea-sized bits with your spatula while cooking.
3. When the rice has cooled, add the peas, carrot, eggs and onion to the bowl. Carefully toss all of the ingredients together.
4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over med/high heat.
5. When the butter has completely melted, dump the rice mixture into the pan and add the soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper. Cook the rice mixture for 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
Tidbits: This fried rice can be prepared ahead of time by cooking the rice, then adding the peas, carrot, onion, and scrambled egg plus half of the soy sauce. Keep this refrigerated until you are ready to fry in the butter. That’s when you add the salt, pepper and remaining soy sauce.